We’re now well into our third month of construction, and for the most part things have been fairly uneventful. We’ve made a few minor modifications along the way, but other than a little bit of termite damage there really haven’t been any unexpected surprises. That all changed last Friday.
The plans call for a short covered walkway between the new women’s locker room and the pool deck. This structure needed a foundation, and that meant removing a patch of concrete from the existing pool deck. Unfortunately in the process of making this cut we hit a pipe. And then another…..and another….and another. Then we turned the corner and hit some of them again! Most of them were plumbing for the pool, but there was also a water line and an electrical conduit. In all ten pipes were damaged.
If all we needed to do was patch the pipes, that wouldn’t be that big of a deal. But unfortunately this network of pipes runs directly through the space where the new foundation is going. So the pipes will need to be rerouted to get them out of the way. This means cutting out more concrete and lots of digging. We’ll also have to drain the lap pool so one of the underwater lights can be rewired and replaced.
While in the overall scheme of things these aren’t huge issues, it does confirm the fact that closing the pools down during this phase of the remodeling process was the right decision. We struggled with the idea of trying to work around the construction schedule and keep the pool open on evenings and weekends. But we worried that delivering a consistent level of service and avoiding unexpected shutdowns would be a struggle.
It’s probably going to take the better part of a week to make the plumbing repairs and get the pool pumps running again. While it’s a hassle and an unwanted expense, at least it happened when the pools were already closed.